24 Apr 2011

Earth Day 2011

April 22nd was Earth Day. A day to inspire awareness of the natural environment which for me translates to inspiring my children. This year, my son helped me to plant some flowers in our container garden. We live in the city and are lucky enough to have a balcony where we grow plants and food like strawberries!

He had a great time digging in the dirt, placing the plants in the soil and watering them. I was able to use this opportunity to explain how and why we must care for the Earth and nature. Joseph loves going on nature walks and helping to grow some of our own food (mostly herbs, strawberries and salad leaves) and I love watching him enthusiastically getting to work helping me put the plants in their new homes!

I hope you had a great Earth day. Of course gardening and nature activities can be done all year round and it is a great way to get hands dirty whilst showing children how beautiful our world can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment