21 May 2011

Handmade baby skirt + the alphabet

Finally I have a bit of time to post this skirt I made for Lily last weekend. It's made from a lovely striped linen I came across in Battersea fabric shop Fabrics Galore. I realise I've called it a baby skirt yet Lily looks like a toddler already! She just turned 9 months and is starting to stand unaided for a few seconds at a time.

I followed a pattern in one of my Japanese sewing books. The pattern had a pocket which I left off for this attempt but when she is older I may add it. I love my Japanese patterns! The diagrams make them so easy to follow for someone like me. I often get confused with wordy instructions in English patterns but give me a diagram in Japanese and I am fine- go figure!


And look what I stumbled across the other day! A year ago I was playing around with illustrating the alphabet for children's rooms. I eventually shelved it as there were so many great ABC posters around that I decided to do something different. I used a few for Joseph's room and the A4 sized ABC prints in my shop but I'd forgotten all about the others. I can see lots of unfinished bits but looking at them together I still like the overall effect so maybe I can rework it into a poster after all.

3 comments:

  1. If there was a photo next to the word "Cuteness" in the dictionary, it would be a photo of Lily in her new skirt! Oh. My. Goodness.
    And I love the way your prints look in the matte and frame. Terrific!
    You're such an inspiration, Isa.
    Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, isn't Lily cute! You're right, she is looking more and more like a toddler. Love the alphabet prints too - they would make a lovely poster :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww thanks you two! It's funny but Lily looks just like my DAD at the same age! It's all I can see when I look at her. I love doing my little projects here and there, keeps me sane!

    ReplyDelete